All about sun protection
Empower yourself through our UV protection summary. Please check this out so that you are not needlessly exposed to UV radiation and can better assess the risks in protecting yourself and others properly.
What advantages are offered by textile sun protection?
- Immediate protection as soon as you put the garment(s) on
- Safe, active protection outdoors and in water
- Proper protection for the entire time you wear the garment(s)
- Comfortable protection due to the very light fabrics
- Sustainable protection due to e.g. using less sun cream.
These advantages are fully covered by the textile sun protection produced by hyphen, which is certified to the UV STANDARD 801. This guarantees the protective effectiveness of the garment whilst in use, or whilst stretched or wet. > discover why this certification is so persuasive
Why is a cream / lotion insufficient as sun protection?
The sun protection factor (SPF) lets you know how much longer you can stay in the sun without any adverse effects once you have applied the sun cream. You need to be careful here as the sun protection factor is relevant only under specific conditions. The sun cream has to be applied at least half an hour before you go out into the sun, and needs to be reapplied many times during the day, even with waterproof creams. In addition, a sufficient amount needs to be applied: normally this means 2 mg per cm2 for the full effectiveness to be reached. As a rule of thumb, a coffee spoonful would be enough for your face.
Everything you need to know about sun cream and its use is set out in an article in Fit for Fun which really gets to the point > read article
Why is sun protection so important for babies and toddlers?
Babies and toddlers should not be in the sun at all! Their own skin protection mechanism still needs to develop: new born babies, for example, have absolutely no protection against UV radiation.
Warum ist Sonnenschutz für Kinder und Jugendliche wichtig?
Kinder und Jugendliche sind aufgrund eines geringeren Selbstschutzes der Haut besonders gefährdet und man weiß, dass 50-80% der UV-Strahlung der Mensch im Kindesalter erlebt. Die Schäden summieren sich und zeigen sich 20-30 Jahre später. Mit jedem Sonnenbrand steigt das statistische Risiko als Erwachsener an Hautkrebs zu erkranken.
Deshalb ist ein sicherer UV-Schutz für Kinder besonders wichtig und nachhaltig. Von dem Zeitpunkt der „Strahlungsüberdosis“ bis zum Auftreten des Sonnenbrandes vergehen bis zu 8 Stunden. Was man nicht sieht ist, dass eine DNA-Schädigung der Zellen bereits schon vor der ersten Hautrötung stattgefunden haben kann.
Some key points about UV radiation
- Your personal protection limit varies depending on the intensity of the radiation, on your distance from the Equator, the time of year or day, weather and ray reflection, as well as the severity of the air pollution
- Around the Mediterranean, your personal protection limit is reduced by 30% and in the tropics by as much as 50%.
- UVB radiaition increases by 15% for every 1000 metres you climb.
- A good half of the UV radiation reaching us occurs around midday, in the hours from 11.00 to 15.00.
- Even on a cloudy day, 50 - 80% of the UV radiation will reach you at ground level.
- In a water depth of one metre, 50 – 75% of the surface UV radiation is measurable.
- Water and sand reflect UV radiation more strongly than e.g. a field. This means that the shade from a parasol / beach umbrella does not guarantee a UV radiation free zone.
- Windows, or the side windows in automobiles, often have no UVA or UVB filters.
Vitamin D and sun protection? Top up your vital vitamin with textile sun protection
We are frequently advised to spend 10 to 30 minutes in the midday sun, but doing this without any protection can be dangerous for some skin types. And applying sun cream afterwards which has a 30 minute delay until it starts to be effective, does not make it easy to protect ourselves from skin irritation. So, the only sensible actions are to seek shade or wear textile sun protection. If you wear certified headgear or clothing, then sun protection from UV radiation can be guaranteed immediately.
Why textile sun cream is better for the environment, and why it pays to use less sun cream
Wearing hyphen textile sun protection not only protects you from skin cancer, but also has a positive environmental impact, because you are saving the planet from the effects of many litres of sun cream, as well as from the plastic packaging. If you reduce the use of sun cream on your face and hands when swimming or taking part in watersports, you can help improve water quality.
This is how badly sun cream affects coral reefs